Stand-Up Paddle Board (SUP) Lesson
2 hr Instruction
Walking on water has become one of the most popular activities on the Santa Barbara coast. This Hawaiian tradition is an absolute blast, with a 2 hour lesson covering the basics, you will be gliding on top of the water with ease.
Back in the 1960's, the roots of paddle boarding was first introduced by some of the the Waikiki Beach Boys: Duke Kahanamoku, Rabbit Kekai, & a few others. They would use long boards and paddles to get out to the surf, quickly. This evolved into instructors taking photo's of their clients out on the water. Who doesn't like seeing their own personal evolution? These instructors found the easiest way to teach through photography was on a stable large long board using a long outrigger canoe paddle. The evolution of surfboard technology through the 70's pushed away the first paddle boarders from this culture.
Modern SUP was born in the late 90's. Laird Hamilton is known as reintroducing the sport back into the mainstream when he began to actively turn the old teaching methods into training when the surf was low. A certain idea appeared. Why can't we as watermen enjoy the ocean through other means? Why don't we catch more waves on the stoke that our surfing ancestor created? We all have a duty to bring positive energy into the ocean. The sport of Stand-Up Paddle Boarding has grown into a community of likeminded individuals, focused on fun times, health, and ocean stewardship.
Our professional instructors will cover the following:
- Launching and Landing your SUP
- SUP Paddle Strokes
- Balance and stability techniques
- Turning and maneuvering your SUP board
- History and wildlife information
- Lessons meet at our Paddle Sports Center in the Santa Barbara Harbor.
- Advanced reservations required, mornings are best to get nice calm seas.
- Includes SUP board, wetsuit, leash, and PFD.
- Advanced lessons are also available, call to speak with an instructor.
- 2 person minimum